SERVES 8/ PREP: 10 MINUTES/ COOK: 45 MINUTES/ TOTAL: 55 MINUTES
Lentils are a good source of protein. When you are on the pured diet, this soup is packed with fiber rich lentils and vegetables to keep you energized, and the soft texture of the soup makes it easy to digest during this stage.
Extra-virgin olive oil 2 Tbsp
Onion, chopped 1 cup
Carrots, cut into ¼-inch chunks ½ cup
Celery, cut into 1/4-inch chunks ½ cup
Minced garlic 1 Teaspoon
Dried lentil rinsed 1 pound
Ground coriander ½ teaspoon
Ground Cumin ½ teaspoon
Red pepper flakes ¼ teaspoon
Chopped tomatoes 1 cup
Vegetable broth 4 cups
Water 4 cups
Low-fat plain Greek yogurt, for garnish
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, coriander, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Mix well and stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until all ingredients are coated well with the seasonings.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, and water to the pot. Bring to a simmer, then cover the pot and cook the soup for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to your desired consistency. Alternatively, let the soup cool for 10 minutes, then puree it in batches in a blender.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with a dollop of Greek yogurt (if using) and serve.
Ingredient tip: If you are on post-op puree stage, you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons of egg white powder or unflavored protein powder after cooking to increase the protein content.
Per Serving (1 cup): Calories: 252 Total fat: 4 g Sodium: 281 mg Total Carbs: 39 g
Sugar: 4 g Fiber: 19 g Protein: 15 g
Kent MS RDN CD, Sarah. Fresh Start Bariatric Cookbook: Healthy Recipes to Enjoy Favorite Foods After Weight-Loss Surgery . Rockridge Press. Kindle Edition.